Friday, December 27, 2013

Books

I read 156 books this year. I could have read four or five more, but 156 is divisible by 52 and I'm a bit neurotic about things like that. I started a really really long audiobook and otherwise I'm just re-reading things until new year.

Favorite Non-fiction reads of 2013: The Black Count by Tom Reiss, Toms River by Dan Fagin, Sister Citizen by Melissa V. Harris-Perry, American Nations by Colin Woodard, Bad Pharma by Ben Goldacre, The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander, The War that Killed Achilles by Caroline Alexander, Destiny Disrupted by Tamim Ansary, Indian Givers by Jack Weatherford, Marie Curie and Her Daughters by Shelley Emling, The Vikings by Neil Oliver.

Favorite Fiction reads of 2013: Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller, Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson, Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh (most unexpected!), The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat, A Hundred Flowers by Gail Tsukiyama,

Favorite Children's and YA Reads of 2013Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein, Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome, The Illyrian Adventure by Lloyd Alexander, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggins, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede,

6 comments:

  1. Nice! I read 151 this year. Although I will admit to having re-read a lot of my favorite authors' books this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I end up putting very strict rules on what I "count" towards my books read tally, which leaves off rereads unless I haven't read them for decades and only read them once or twice before. It's silly, but sometimes I feel like books are the only productivity I have so I do what I can to make that stick when I can't be a productive crafter.

      Delete
  2. I don't think it's silly at all. Reading has saved my sanity many times in the past couple of decades--and yes, it helps me feel I've accomplished something when nothing else works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :)

      I since I met my goal early I was able to finish two long books on the first, which always make me happy/smug.

      Delete
  3. You read much deeper things than I do (unless all your re-reads were shallow). I love the name Edwidge Danticat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been a big non-fiction reader, even as a kid. The world is just so big and fascinating and I want to know everything. Not that fiction can't do that as well, but it's easier for me to tell ahead of time if I'll really enjoy a non-fiction title, and too much mediocre reading burns me out.

      I agree, Edwidge Danticat is basically the best name ever.

      Delete