Sunday, March 27, 2011

It Gets Better

I have long wanted to support Dan Savage's It Gets Better project, especially in buying the book for school libraries. I have a rather tight budget though so I'm not really able to do much on my own.

The solution? Create a cross-stitch pattern that I can sell as a fundraiser to go towards buying those books. It's a pretty large pattern with an intricate rainbow border and part of a quote from Robert Frost. The full quote goes as follow:
"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be 
made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life; define yourself."

What it made me think of was the rash of suicides by gay teenagers. They were bullied into silence. The quote is of course applicable to all of us in one way or another. Everyone faces bullying of some sort, as adults or teenagers, physical or emotional or verbal. So the pattern can certainly be reworked with different colors (it would be nice if every public defender had this quote in their office) or just buy it for the borders and put in your own text (I worked damn hard on those borders!).

All proceeds from the sale of this pattern will go towards buying the It Gets Better book for school libraries. If you're not a stitcher or don't buy patterns you can donate directly to It Gets Better. There's a 'contribute' link on the top faaar right of the page where you can donate to this most worthy cause.

The pattern is in my Etsy shop, Hardcore StitchCorps. The finished piece will be framed and listed on Etsy in a few days. On 16 count Aida it will fit very nicely in an 8x10 inch frame. I really love how it came out. The colors and the way the borders interact are just as I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment